About Me

My photo
I am a wife and mother who also has cystic fibrosis and a mitochondrial disease.

Monday, July 20, 2009

Say What???

So last Wednesday I got a rash in the middle of my back. It was a little itchy and sore, but I thought it was poinson ivy. It had little blisters and after 5 days of peroxide and calamine lotion, it was still the same as it was in the begining. So I saw my mom and dad on Sunday and they looked at this rash. They said, "Chrissy that's not poison ivy, you have shingles."
Say what mom and dad? Shingles? Huh?

I know what they are; I just didn't expect that was what I had. So today I went in to see my doctor. She took one look and was like, "yep. That's Shingles." That wasn't all she had to say though. She gave me prescripts for pain and for the virus itself. The whole time she was a FLURRY of activity. Upping my dose of multi vitamins at the IV center, entering things into the computer, asking my what seemed to be random questions...then I recognized a few of them and it dawned on me as she pulled up my blood test results. My vitamin levels have basically gotten so low--I have no ability (or it is a weak one) to fight off infections and such.

She explained to me that her flurry mode was because I can't fight stuff off...my vitamin levels are so low...and then she mentioned the C word...

Say what??

I don't have cancer; but am considered at risk; and if I do develop it...I can't fight it off. I'm not planning on bringing it up to Frank right now. He has a lot on his plate, including his own medical problems...The C word would just scare him like it did me. There is no point in that. I just have to take care of myself...resting, drinking lots of fluids, and not missing IVs.

5 comments:

  1. So what about the tests that you are supposed to have in a few days? Are they still going to do them? They really need to find out why you are not absorbing these vitamins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They can't do them at this point. I have to reschedule.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had shingles 3 times all in the same place on my neck. Not very painful but a little itchy like you said. The last time the PA made me go to the office to see the doc. He looked at me and said "yup shingles". I was like I know but they made me come in. I think he said the next time I could just call and get an RX for the antibiotic. One side note, he did say that they weren't as bad as "normal" people because of the abx I am constantly on and off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I hope the fact that I too am on antibiotics makes them not as bad as everyone has been telling me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am thinking about you and praying for you as usual Chrissy. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete